State of the various IP offices and decisions taken in view of the measures taken by the countries to stop the expansion of the Covid-19 virus
Isern Patentes y Marcas would like to inform you that we are operating as usual. Our team is working with normality and holding all meetings preferably by videoconference during this exceptional period, in order to comply with the recommendations of the healthcare authorities.
With this information, we would like to announce the extraordinary measures implemented by the Official Industrial and Intellectual Property Agencies with regard to administrative procedures and deadlines:
- Spanish Patent and Trademark Office (SPTO): the SPTO continues receiving new applications and writings. All administrative deadlines and due dates are resumed on June 1, 2020 from the date they were interrupted. Therefore, the initial day of calculation is June 1, 2020 at 0:00h for all deadlines.
- European Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO): all deadlines that were due to expire from March 9, 2020 were extended and the proceedings were resumed on May 18, 2020. We already informed each client about this temporary extension.
- European Patent Office (EPO):
- Renewals due after March 15, 2020 may be paid and properly validated until August 31, 2020.
- Therefore, this measure allows renewals that had an expiry date of 31 March 2020, 30 April 2020, 31 May 2020, 30 June 2020 and 31 July 2020 to be carried out on or before August 31, 2020 without the need to pay any additional fees.
- This decision enters into force on June 1, 2020 to progressively resume payment of outstanding renewals.
- Other national offices and WIPO: Each office may implement the measures it considers appropriate depending on the situation in each country. If there is any modification or measure that affects your file, we will inform you promptly, as we are in permanent contact with all the official organizations.
- Red.es: the entity that manages the .ES domain names communicates that all management before the .ES department, that could be subject to the fulfillment of a certain administrative term, it will continue its calculation since June 1, 2020. Therefore, the expirations will resume and will add as many days as this situation has lasted. The rest of the procedures that do not involve an administrative deadline also continue in the usual way.
We are at your disposal should you have any questions or concerns about the measures taken by the public institutions of intellectual property.
If you would like more information about this situation, please contact us.